Sunday, April 6, 2008

Navy Album

Hey, all! The main thing I have been working on is Patrick's Navy album.

Now, most of the album is not using Stampin' Up, but any and every other source of Navy scrapbooking materials I could get a hold of.
I started with his "Swearing In" before he left for Boot Camp. I used Pledge of Allegiance style papers and dog tags to highlight the event.

Just after swearing in, he left for Great Lakes Recruiting Center. We wouldn't see him for another eight weeks.


This page will have a personal reflection on his absence at Bootcamp. I will print the reflections on vellum and attach it over the postal montage. The side pocekts are perfect for storing all the letters during bootcamp.



After Boot Camp was completed, we were able to see his graduation at the Pass in Review. One of the most emotional moments of PIR is when the recruits entered the hall. Over 800 young men and women marching in to long absent excited families!


The Parade Hall is enormous. It needs to be to accommodate all those divisions and their families.
Don't they look fabulous standing at attention.
I loved when they all sang "Anchors Aweigh"


Once the PIR was completed, the announced "Liberty Call" Talk about a place going nuts!
It was a challenge for families to find their recruits in the crowd, but once we did, we also made a point of finding Patrick's division flag. He designed the "Mom & Pop" side.



Of course the album wouldn't be complete without the official division photo and yearbook picture of my sailor!




So on Liberty, Patrick finally had the chance to visit with family. But, part of his priority was also to eat what he wanted and play with electronics. During most of the visit, I only saw the top of his head. His face was buried in the DS! We did get plenty of smiles in filling his ice cream cravings, here at the Rainforest Cafe!

Of course just about everyone makes the track to Navy Pier. It was about the only site we saw in Chicago on our stay.
Even then, we didn't see all the activities there. We spent most of the time at the IMAX.
sigh!

We saw him off at the airport so he could take his cell phone and DS with him to Groton for sub school. We hung out at the USO office. He was visiting with some of his BC friends.
And off on his next leg of the journey. I just wish he would send me more pictures to scrap.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karolee,

Just wanted to say this is a beautiful album! I enjoyed seeing what you did with PIR. I've done an album for my son but not my own yet, so I appreciate the good ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Sandi, PNM of Seabee Dave

Anonymous said...

Hi Karolee,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this album! I've done PIR pages for my son but not for myself yet, so I appreciated the new ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Sandi, PNM of Seabee Dave

Anonymous said...

I too am a N4M and really enjoyed the ideas from your album. My sailor graduated in Nov 2007 and I have been collecting pics and stuff since he left in Oct. He is now enroute to SD then Va for his ship assignment. Will keep in touch on N4M that is for sure. I just need some ideas about what I want his album to look like. Thanks Jeanine

Unknown said...

Karolee,
I started the scrapbooking group on N4M's. I LOVE your pages they are great! I am working on my son, Kyle's, PIR pages right now. You have such nice PIR pictures. Unfortunately we had to sit up in the balcony on the end so the pictures I have are from quite a distance. Better than nothing though. Where did you get the postal/letter paper? I love it. Again great pages!
Julie-Kyle's Proud Mom