Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Lunch boxes


One of my favorite projects is decorating Lunch Tins.

I love using these tins for all kinds of things. They make great recipe tins. I have one for holding my sewing supplies (Hence, the heirlooms paper with sewing supplies) They are the perfect size for holding card swaps or organizing your cards. And they make fun gifts, especially when filled with goodies like chocolate!

Some people use sticky strip to hold the paper and accessories down.
I like to add a protective layer to the paper by applying Modge Podge. By using a decoupage medium, the decorative paper is protected from water or other minor damaging factors. I feel this is especially important for tins that are used a recipe boxes. I have had SO many paper products damaged in the kitchen!

Sticky strip is very strong so it makes a great way to adhere ribbon and embellishments. I add sticky strip to the entire length of the ribbon. This ensures that the ribbon will stay in place, even after a large amount of use.

Hodge Podge hardware is used to hold personalized quotes. Glassy Glaze is embossed in several layers, cooled and cracked to create the "Cracked Glass" style of covering. This gives it that vintage look.

Paper-wise, the Designer Papers are fabulous! They color coordinate with the ribbons and stamps. They are light enough to be flexible but the double-sided papers are thick enough to have some strength and accidental reduce tearing.

There are a variety of fun ribbons you can use to decorate. I like to coordinate a couple of different colors of grosgrain and gingham ribbons. I like ribbon on the edges and I just put a few on each side of the handle. I personally like to be able to use the handle without ribbons in the way. Many people like to make it more decorative and add even more. The choice is yours!

I can't wait to make some new ones with our new designer papers!

1 comment:

Pattyjo said...

I totally love your lunch boxs! They are finished so pretty! I just subscribed to your blog.