Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blast from the past


OK, its hard to find a good stamp set for boys. It can't be too cutesy. It should be related to what they do. Its tough.

Well, for my son's birthday, I tried to think of something that wouldn't offend him, be interesting, and connect thematically to his party. Yeah, right....

Well, since his party is a Golfland Sunsplash, the big castle, I thought to use my "Dreams and Dragons" set. Now, this set is my reminder to myself and everyone else... If you like a set BUY IT! Don't worry about it being retired and you aren't sure if you would use it enough or whatever excuse you give yourself to pass on it. Just buy it. Or five years later you find yourself paying three times (or more) than it is worth on EBay. Like I did with this set.



Anyway, I used the trophy card/stand up card design for this. I wasn't too sure I wanted to go through all the effort to make these cards, but once I was started, I found it was really quite easy.

The real test was showing the invitation to my son. He looked at and seemed mildly interested (now that is a really good sign!) We took the invitation to his patrol meeting and the boys were also mildly interested. They liked being able to pull on it and peeked through the stand. Hey, they didn't laugh or get indignant! Yeah!



I will post all the directions on how to do these in the next few days. If you just can't wait, there is an excellent tutorial on Split Coast Stampers.

10 comments:

Cate J said...

Love this! Very nice job and I'm glad it got his "approval" LOL!

Mel O'Donnell said...

You are so right about buying stamps you like when they are available!!! I've made that mistake before and it's cost me dearly afterwards! Glad the boys liked the invites!!
Mel

Teresa Brooks said...

Soooo cute, and glad he liked it. I too agree with buying retired stamps if you like it, especially kids stamps.

Unknown said...

Love this card, and I'm sure your son will too!
Diane

Peggy said...

That is a very cute card. I wish there were more stamps like this. I am sure he will love it.

Chelsea M said...

I love this card - the colors are so vibrant and the design is very creative. I am sure the party will be just as great as the card!

Anonymous said...

I love this! You are right, it is hard to find appropriate stamps for boys cards but you did great!

Buffy said...

This is so cute! I totally get how hard it is to stamp for boys (I have 2), and this is perfect.

Rachel Bleich said...

I agree with all about buying them when you want them. These look great. Are you sure they weren't too hard? I have never done one of the pull-up's but would love to.

EValeen said...

Forget the boys, I want to come. That invite is AMAZING! And you are so right about buying what you like. Sometimes I don't even get to demo it before it is retired, so I must like it, love it, gotta have it if I'm going to buy it. Unfortunately, there are so many in that category!! heee heeee